Click here to go back to the AFC Heritage Trust Homepage Aberdeen Football Club Heritage Trust Logo  
AFC - Match Report
match report 1980-81 fixture list
Premier Division 
Aberdeen 3 - 1 Partick Thistle
Kick Off:  7:30 PM   Simpson 2, McGhee 64, McLeish 75.       Watson 58  
Attendance: 7,650
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Dons enjoy 1st April - Thistle fooled
This April Fool's Day victory was watched by only 8,000 spectators, but the joke was almost on the Dons as they struggled to gain mastery over a team who fought gallantly all the way. Alex McLeish contributed towards the win with a rare goal.

Aberdeen took only 90 seconds to make their presence felt. Mark McGhee won an aerial duel with Whittaker and recovered in time to cross a dangerous ball. There was a scramble in the goalmouth and the ball rebounded to Neil Simpson who crashed it past McNab, deputising for the injured Alan Rough, from close range. Thistle retaliated immediately when Higgins won a tussle with Jim Leighton for a bouncing ball, but Willie Miller was waiting on the goal line to guide the ball away from danger. This inspired the visitors to pressure the home defence for a spell but, although they were often in Aberdeen's penalty box they rarely threatened.
Gradually the Dons came more into the game and McNab was tested by a snap shot from Andy Watson. Then Simpson cleverly created an opening for Ian Scanlon and the keeper did well to block his shot with his legs. Aberdeen were now making quick forays into Thistle's penalty area and Scanlon went close with a header from a Stuart Kennedy cross. McGhee then missed a scoring chance when a deflected Scanlon pass left him with only the keeper to beat. Aberdeen scorned the opportunity to increase their lead when they missed a penalty. The combined attention of Campbell and Whittaker felled McGhee but Scanlon's kick glanced off the top of the crossbar. It had been a disappointing first period for the Dons with too many scoring chances having been missed.


Thistle resumed with determination and Park's fierce shot was deflected narrowly past. When Alex McLeish misjudged a cross a header from Higgins just cleared the crossbar. The home defence's vulneraČbility was confirmed when the visitors equalised in 58 minutes. A scramble in the goalmouth saw the ball cleared only as far as Kenny Watson and he sent in an angled drive from the edge of the box. Aberdeen were stung by this reverse and they stepped up a gear. Great saves by McNab prevented McGhee and Andy Harrow from restoring the lead. The Dons' renewed aggression was rewarded by a goal in 64 minutes, when McGhee ended his recent goal famine by heading home Scanlon's perfect corner kick. Shortly afterwards a Doug Rougvie header, from another fine cross by Scanlon, struck the woodwork.
By now Aberdeen were swarming round the Thistle goal and Doug McNab was playing a prominent role in defying the Dons during this purple patch. With a little more composure the home side would have had the issue settled. The decisive third goal came in 75 minutes and yet again it was danger man Scanlon who provided the ammunition. His flag-kick was headed in by McLeish although Harrow followed up to make sure the ball was over the line.
A few minutes from the end Simpson's lob from 25 yards rebounded from the crossbar. The Dons had produced some brilliant, incisive, attacking play - but only in the last half hour.

Source: Match Programme, 17th September 1994

NB - The match was originally scheduled for the 21st of March and the programme was carried forward from that date.
Aberdeen Teamsheet:  Leighton, Kennedy, Rougvie (Cooper), Watson, McLeish, Miller, Simpson, Angus, McGhee, Harrow, Scanlon.

Unused Subs:


Partick Thistle Teamsheet:  McNab, McKinnon (Doyle), Whittaker, Welsh, Campbell, Watson (Jardine), Park, McDonald, Higgins, Lapsley, Clark


Referee: T. Muirhead, Stenhousemuir

Related Links: